To ensure the Web serves future generations, the WST promotes and supports the development of Web Science curricula at all relevant educational levels around the world.
Web Science Education
Education is of paramount importance to the Trust and we look to assist in the definition of curricula at all levels, provide support and backing of summer schools across all our Labs. Ultimately to ensure that our students and members have the right skills and tools to approach this complex task of engagement with the complex socio-technical interactions on the Web.
Current Courses in Web Science
There are a number of institutions around the world where you can study Web Science. For further information please visit the institution’s site:
- Cologne University, Germany offers a Master Programme in Web Science. It is an extra-occupational course of studies that makes extensive use of the Web’s cooperation and e-learning technologies.
- Hof University offers a Masters in Internet-Web Science
- MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory has various courses available
- Tetherless World Constellation at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute explores the research and engineering principles that underlie the Web
- The Oxford Internet Institute was founded as a department of the University of Oxford in 2001, as an academic centre for the study of the societal implications of the internet. There are various courses available
- The University of Edinburgh offers Science, Technology and Innovation Studies
- The University of Koblenz-Landau, Institute for Web Science and Technologies, has offered a Masters in Web Science since October 2012
- The University of Linz, Austria runs a Studies of Web Science within the Master’s Degree Program since October 2011
- The University of the West of England in Bristol offers a professional course in Social Media and Web Science
Other Courses of interest
Training that will be of interest to potential Web Scientists, interdisciplinary researchers and others:
- Offering a deep dive into 35+ initiatives that should prove helpful for women exploring a career in Cybersecurity
- The Promotion of Women in Computer Science
- Coding at a young age
- A field that is eager for diversity – a guide for minorities and computer science
- Future Learn offers a free course titled Web Science: How the Web is Changing the World
- Aachen University offers MSc Informatik – a Web Science core course
- University of Glasgow offers MSc Computer Science with Web Science module
- Johannes Kepler University of Linz offers Economics of Web Science
- Knowledge Technology Institute Graz offers Web Science and Web Technology
- UCL offers MSc Computational Archeology which includes web science methods
Other related tools and courses
Whilst not directly Web Science, here are some resources (some free, some commercial) offering resources in related areas such as AI, programming, big data etc.) WST receives no compensation for listing any resource on this page and does not endorse or recommend any single training provider beyond the invited WSTnet university membership.
- Dash General Assembly
- Khan Academy
- LinkedIn Learning (Lynda)
- MIT OpenCourseWare
If you wish to have your institution added to this list please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Before requesting a listing, please note that WST generally only lists direct providers of content/education rather than aggregators, resellers or other paid-for recommended services.