Web Science Education
Education is of paramount importance to the Trust and we look to assist in the definition of curricula at all levels , the support and backing of summer schools across all our Labs and ultimately ensuring that our students and members have the right skills and tools to approach this complex task of engaging with the complex socio-technical interactions on the Web.
Current Courses in Web Science
There are a number of institutions around the world where you can study Web Science. For further information on each of the institutions please visit the institutions site.
- Master in Web Science and Digital Economy at the Faculty of Economics / Saint-Joseph University of Beirut, Lebanon. Created in 2012 – Research Master program in french, english and arabic. http://www.fse.usj.edu.lb/master-wsen
- The MediaLab at the University of Alcalá (Spain) started their on-line Ms.C. program on Networked Media and Web Science in 2014. The program is 60 ECTS and prepares for entering the interdisciplinary Phd Program on Communication, Information and Technology in the Networked Society. More information at: http://www.uah.es/medialab/.
- The Doctoral Training Centre for Web Science at the University of Southampton was launched in 2009 and is run by Professor Dame Wendy Hall, Dr Leslie Carr and Professor Catherine Pope with Professor Nigel Shadbolt as Research Director, http://webscience.ecs.soton.ac.uk/dtc/
- The Oxford Internet Institute was founded as a department of the University of Oxford in 2001, as an academic centre for the study of the societal implications of the internet, http://www.oii.ox.ac.uk/
- Science, Technology and Innovation Studies at the University of Edinburgh, http://www.stis.ed.ac.uk/
- MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, http://www.csail.mit.edu/
- The School of Communication at Northwestern University, Illinois http://www.communication.northwestern.edu/
- Tetherless World Constellation at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute explores the research and engineering principles that underlie the Web, http://tw.rpi.edu/
- Eindhoven University of Technology. Web Science is one of the two Bachelor’s tracks within the Bachelor’s program Technische Informatica (Computer Science & Engineering). The other track is Software Science. http://www.tue.nl/studeren/bacheloropleidingen/technische-informatica/web-science/ or http://stuvo.tue.nl/scholieren/bacheloropleidingen/web-science-track.html
- Cologne University, Germany. Starting in the winter semester 2011/2012 offers a Master Programme “Web Science”. It is an extra-occupational course of studies that makes extensive use of the Web’s cooperation and e-learning technologies. http://www.webscience.fh-koeln.de
- University of Linz, Austria runs a Studies of Web Science within the Master’s Degree Program in October 2011. For more information go to http://www.jku.at
- Aristotle University of Thessaloniki Mathematics Department is offering a Masters in Web Science http://www.webscience.auth.gr/
- Swansea University Msc Specialism in Web Science http://www.swan.ac.uk/compsci/msc/AMScWebSci/
- University of Koblenz-Landau, Institute for Web Science and Technologies, is offering a Master’s programme in Web Science since October 2012. Please find details at:
Other Courses of interest
Not Web Science but training of interest to potential Web Scientists, interdisciplinary researchers and others with an interest in this area
- The Promotion of Women in Computer Science
- The learning of computer science and coding at a young age.
- A field that is eager for diversity – a guide for minorities and computer science:
If you wish to have your institution added to this list please email firstname.lastname@example.org