Vacancy: Assistant professor (UD) in Web Science (Tenure Track)
VU University Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Department of Computer Science
Vacancy number: 14393
Closing date: January 5, 2015
In collaboration with the Informatics Institute at the University of Amsterdam (UvA), the Department of Computer Sciences of VU University Amsterdam is seeking candidates for an assistant professor in Web Science.
VU University Amsterdam is one of the leading institutions for higher education in Europe and aims to be inspiring, innovative, and committed to societal welfare. It comprises twelve faculties and has teaching facilities for 25.000 students.
Research at the Faculty of Sciences focuses on the areas of Life & Health, Networked World, Fundamentals of Science, and Energy & Sustainability. The faculty’s teaching activities are directly linked to this excellent research. Cooperation with other faculties on the VU University Amsterdam campus generates attractive, high-quality Bachelor’s and Master’s programmes.
At international level, the faculty cooperates closely with leading scientific institutes and other partners. In the context of the VU University Amsterdam management programme, the faculty is cooperating closely with the Faculty of Earth and Life Sciences to optimize the support of teaching and research. During the upcoming period, the faculty, together with the Faculty of Earth and Life Sciences, will be facing the challenge of how to further flesh out cooperation between VU University Amsterdam’s science faculties and those of the University of Amsterdam.
The VU University Amsterdam Department of Computer Sciences has approximately 170 members, including 35 tenured staff members and 40-50 PhD students. We are currently embarking on an ambitious collaboration with the UvA Informatics Institute. This will result in the largest conglomeration of computer science research in The Netherlands, and one of the largest in Europe.
The department is inviting applications for a tenure track position in Web Science, to be positioned in the Web and Media research group. Web Science is a rapidly emerging new scientific discipline that takes the Web as its object of study. The VU Department of Computer Sciences hosts some of the pioneering research teams in this exciting new field. As a member of the Network Institute, the department is actively involved in Web Science research in collaboration with scholars from social science, law, economics and humanities. The Web and Media research group is actively involved in Web Science research in connection to Semantic Web, Human Computing, Personalized Web-based Systems.
The candidate will be expected to:
- Undertake research in the area of Web Science, and to teach Web Science and Computer Science at undergraduate and postgraduate level;
- Develop research activities by sustaining a personal research plan;
- Attract, manage and sustain a small research group of PhD students and Research Assistants;
- Establish an international reputation for research through the regular dissemination of findings through leading peer-reviewed publications, presenting results at conferences, or exhibiting work at other appropriate events;
- Contribute and develop innovative research proposals, projects and funding bids as self-contained items or as part of a broader programme;
- Carry out management and administrative tasks associated with research activities, including risk assessment of project activities, organization of project meetings and documentation and preparation of annual reports. Execute procedures required to ensure accurate and timely formal reporting and financial control;
- Support the teaching objectives of the Department by a range of contributions to its teaching activities. Deliver teaching of the highest quality across a range of modules and to all levels, through lectures, tutorials, practicals and seminars. Monitor, evaluate and revise course design to ensure excellence and coherence;
- Contribute to the efficient management and administration of the Department by performing personal administrative duties as allocated by the Head and by taking on appropriate coordinating roles.
We expect the candidate to be member of the Web and Media research group and as such to work with researchers from other disciplines across the University and from around the world. Successful candidates will have a background in Computer Science, will have a significant track record in a core Web Science research area, are able to demonstrate the ability to undertake interdisciplinary research and to contribute to the development of the Computer Science and Web Science education programs at both Bachelor and Master level.
The candidate demonstrates a substantial external reputation in Web Science, experience in interdisciplinary research, evidence of independent research and evidence of academic potential through quality research publications.
The candidate must be proficient in English, willing to learn Dutch and must be prepared to take courses for qualification as university teacher.
The assistant professor position is a tenure track position. Based on performance indicators agreed at the start of the appointment, a tenure track position will lead to tenured position in a period of a maximum of 4 years. VU University Amsterdam is an equal opportunities employer. You can find information about our excellent fringe benefits of employment at www.workingatvu.nl like:
- Remuneration of 8,3% end-of-year bonus and 8% holiday allowance;
- Generous contribution (65%) commuting allowance based on public transport;
- Discounts on collective insurances (healthcare- and car insurance);
- Participation in Individual Choices model.
The salary will be in accordance with university regulations for academic personnel, and depending on experience, range from a minimum of € 3,259 up to a maximum of € 4,462 gross per month (salary scale 11) or from a minimum of € 3,950 up to a maximum of € 5,070 gross per month (salary scale 12) based on a fulltime employment.
Here is the online advertisement at the VU: http://www.vu.nl/nl/werken-bij-de-vu/vacatures/2014/267.asp
For additional information please contact:
Dr. Lora Aroyo
Department of Computer Sciences: www.cs.vu.nl
Network Institute: www.networkinstitute.org
Applicants are requested to write a letter in which they describe their abilities and motivation, accompanied by a curriculum vitae and one or two references.
Applications should be sent by email to email@example.com before January 5, 2015. Please mention the vacancy number in the e-mail header.